Monday, January 7, 2008

Parenting Backfire

When Michael and Jacob were in 5th grade I remember losing my temper one night about what slobs I was raising. I proceeded to get two rubbermaid containers and take all of their belongings minus the books in the bookshelf and their clothes and box them in the container. I told them since they couldn't take care of what they had then I would take care of it. I put it in the basement and slowly they earned some of it back and much of it we decided to donate to Goodwill over the course of a year or so.

I've used this technique several times with Erin. When she is unwilling to clean her room I offer to clean it for her using a trash bag. Sometimes this threat motivates her immediately (in between sobs) to quickly pick things up. Several times I've had to use the trash bag technique. I never really throw her things away. After she's gone to bed I go through the trash bag and throw away "trash" and the toys she has to earn back.

I guess I spoke too soon. I shouldn't have said I never throw the trash bag away. Well, I guess I didn't do it.

A couple weeks before Christmas I had to get out the "trash bag" because Brooke and Erin (they share a room now) were fighting me about picking up their room. I filled a Hefty Cinch Sack to the top with everything that was on the floor. This included some of their clothes and many other items that I can't even remember. Well, with the hustle and bustle of Christmas this white bag sat in the garage for a few weeks.

Today as I was decluttering our basement, I remembered that bag. For some reason I gasped out loud and ran to the garage. Unfortunately, I had put the bag right next to the large black trash can. Well, Michael and Jacob have the job of taking out the trash and with all the extra Christmas trash they didn't know NOT to put the white Hefty Cinch Sack, with perfectly good clothing and who knows what else, out last week.

I'm sick about - I can't get it off my mind. I don't know why. I guess because it's one thing to donate things you love, but may not use anymore, but perfectly good items!! And the worst thing - I don't even know everything I threw away. :(

Major, very major, parenting blunder. Please hide the Hefty Cinch sacks from me.....

5 comments:

Lucy said...

I totally do this! I don't know how effective it is for my boys. They usually forget what's in the bag too.

At least we are teaching them not to be too connected to material things:) See...a silver lining.

DarbyM said...

yikes... i hope it was all stuff that was outgrown and old and just junk :)

Hugs, i'd be sad too.

DarbyM said...

yikes... i hope it was all stuff that was outgrown and old and just junk :)

Hugs, i'd be sad too.

Maryanne said...

Bekki, I'm so glad I found your blog!
This story is hilariously sad! Don't worry about it too much. Think of what you COULD have accidentally thrown away instead of clothes and toys....one of your beautiful scrapbooks, a blessing dress (my brother accidentally threw MINE away), something completely irreplaceable. It sounds like there wasn't anything like that in the bag. Be happy for what you didn't lose :)

Julie V. said...

That is so funny Bekki! I was all inspired, thinking I would do that little parenting trick, until I got to the end. OOPS! such a hilarious story, one that I am sure will stand the test of time in the "remember when" stories in the future.