Sunday, June 1, 2008

Changed

I don't really know how to begin this post. I feel so full of emotion today. Our ward's Fast and Testimony Meeting was filled with the Spirit. I held back the tears for some of the meeting and let them roll down my cheeks for the rest of the meeting. I didn't have a tissue. My girls looked at me inquisitively. It wasn't the first time they have seen me cry in the last few days. Brooke asked if I was sad. I shook my head. With a grin she said, "you're happy?" Yes, I'm happy and thankful because of what I KNOW.

Sidney (12) a young girl from our ward died in a car accident Memorial Day weekend on her way to to Utah. Immediately when I heard the news I saw her beautiful face in my mind. I saw her smile. I saw the way she responded to a question in Sharing Time - many times literally bouncing in her seat because she knew the answer. I can't recall a time when I didn't see her smiling. She loved life.

Rex and I went to the funeral on Friday. It was absolutely beautiful, from the gorgeous program (made by her dad) to the many pictures of Sidney hanging on the walls of the church to the precious talks and musical numbers. I left the memorial service changed. I want to be better person, a better mom. I know I posted earlier with a poem when a friend of ours died - when I read that poem it resonates deep within me, but it didn't change me. Sidney's memorial service changed me. It's so hard to put it into words, but I came home to my kids sitting on the couch watching TV changed.

Then today after church I talked to Sidney's parents. I was nervous - my emotions were so close to the surface and I wanted to be strong, but the tears wouldn't stop. I wanted them to know I loved them and as I stood there crying - THEY taught me. They strengthened my testimony that families are forever, that this life is just a portion of our existence. They showed me that through our darkest hour Heavenly Father carries us so that we can continue. Jeff said that as he and Cassie have talked this last week about their time with Sidney neither one of them have any regrets.

No regrets. That's why I'm changed. My family is THE most important thing in my life, but is that how I've been living? Sometimes. Today I begin living differently - because of you, Sidney.


Sidney (bottom left in the blue and yellow) at Primary Activity January 2007

3 comments:

Sorensens said...

Becky, that was everything I have felt that I could not put into words. We are so blessed because of what we know.

Laurene Ross said...

That was beautiful.I have been praying for them to be strengthened as a couple. I have such a limited look as to what is happening there. As I sat in testimony meeting here in VA, I thought about the Brighton Ward and the spirit that would probably be there. I wished I could be there to share in the support. Your comments have been an answer to my prayers. Thank you for the inspiring comments.

sayfuzzypickles said...

wow, what a lesson we can all learn, the one that you did. Thanks for sharing that with us out here in cyber space.