Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't Forget Grandma and Grandma



Our Public Affairs Committee visit to the Care Center on Saturday was a blessing I'll never forget. Our Ward members went above and beyond donating more than enough gifts for the residents who attended our program - the rest of the gifts went to another Care Center in a neighboring town.

I arrived with the kids about 30 minutes early to set up and bring in the gifts. The Activities Director quickly approached me with a concerned look on her face. One of the secretaries had taken a call from one of the committee members (asking for directions) and was under the impression that we coming to have a "service". She let me know very nicely that they didn't have any Mormons in the Center and she had to let the residents know what they would be attending and many might choose not to attend. I told her that we weren't planning a "service," but would it be okay for some children to portray the Nativity? She said that would be fine. I told her that we'd have four other musical numbers and then a sing along. The worried look was replaced with relief and they quickly gathered nearly 40 residents for the program.

Several children from the ward portrayed that Nativity including Brooke as a shepherd and Erin as a wiseman. After the Nativity a sweet five year old from our ward sang Silent Night. It was beautiful and the Activity Director leaned over in awe asking how old she was. Michael and Jacob then played a piano duet, "Do You Hear What I Hear." They did fabulous! Then we heard a vocal solo (can't remember the name of the song), a flute/piano duet and then finally a lady from the ward played her guitar and sang, "Away in the Manager." INCREDIBLE! Then we opened it up for requests for the sing along. I thought afterward how interesting the every request was a religious Christmas song.



Each resident received a jingle bell necklace, Santa Hat, wrapped present, goody bag, cookies and punch. They all seemed so genuinely happy and thankful. I felt the Spirit so strongly as we talked with each of them.

After it was all over the Activities Director was visibly touched. She thanked us and then mentioned one man who choose not to open his gift as the others opened theirs. She told me that she knew why he had chosen not to open his. She knew that he wouldn't be receiving anything this year and she knew that he would be saving it for Christmas Day. Tears welled in my eyes as I thought about how something so small as purchasing and wrapping a gift could change the month for a man. I was blessed to be the one who was able to help deliver the gifts - if only each one who had donated could have been there!



3 comments:

Maude said...

What a beautiful post! It made me cry. Of course the place you went to bring the Christmas Spirit was so like the places I go in Bountiful. My heart breaks for some of those residents who never have a visitor. I am SO glad your children participated. I am sure they learned much about what Christmas really means. Thanks for brightening my day. Love, Mom

Sorensens said...

How fun, I remember doing something like that in YW and I loved it.

Molly Jae said...

I'm so glad you recorded your experience. Touching.