Either you did or didn't growing up.
I did share a bedroom with my sister Lisa for a period of time growing up. I have vivid memories of our shared bedroom in our house on Poplar Circle in Centerville, Utah. I remember playing a game (when we were supposed to be sleeping) with Lisa where I would pretend to be falling asleep and I would start to fall of my bed and Lisa would have to jump out of bed and catch me. I know it sounds a little odd, but it sure was fun - for ME. I don't think Lisa ever got to be the person who fell. Those darn big sisters.
We had matching pink bedspreads on our twin beds. I also have a very distinct memory of spilling dark purple fingernail polish on my bedspread. I don't think my mom was ever able to get it out.
Once we moved to Chelsea Cove in Bountiful I graduated to my OWN ROOM. It was like a rite of passage - a badge that I could wear to show that I was all was grown up. How I loved having my own room with an attached bathroom. And what a great surprise to find out that I had a phone jack in my room. It doesn't seem like much now with the advent of cordless phones, but back then it was a BIG DEAL because I could talk on the phone in the privacy of my own room. All of our phones at that time were connected to the wall.
All of these thoughts have come to mind because of some moving around we will be doing at our house in the next week. I got a great idea a month or so ago to get an estimate on new carpet. I can't stand the carpet we have. It's much too light for a family with kids and it is in desperate need of a good stretching. There are several large ripples throughout the house. When I went to look at samples I fell in love with some carpet called "dried flowers." I also got an estimate on the removal of our carpet in our bathroom with tile as the replacement. After some thought we decided to go for it.
Then I got this great idea to move Erin and Brooke into Michael and Jacob's room and give the boys each their own room. They were thrilled to say the least. Except for a few months after they were born they have shared a room. That's over thirteen years of never having their own space. So in addition to getting the new carpet we have also been painting A LOT and I'll be sure to post some pictures soon.
Congrats Michael and Jacob you're all grown up now!
2 comments:
I was thinking of this just a while ago. Wondering if you were going to finish the basement now that Jacob and Michael were teenagers to give them their own rooms. I love that they are going to have their own space for the first time. But, I also think that sharing a room is so great for siblings and it will be an important experience for Brooke and Erin to have too. Nice parenting!
I did share a room growing up until my twin sister and I became unbearable together as teenagers. I moved out of the room that we shared into the green room as it was known in the family (hence the wall color), and I painted it white for a young women goal. I now think that it is funny that I could have chosen any color to paint it, but I wanted white. I loved having my own room!
Post a Comment