Saturday, January 6, 2007

A Soccer Mom

I have never been an athlete.

My mom tells stories about the one and only time I was on a soccer team. Most, if not all of the players were probably better than me, so they'd tell me to get out of the way and not touch the ball. I also took dance for a short period of time - I don't have any recollection of this, but my memory is slightly jogged when I see the scrapbook pages my mom put into my album. I played volleyball on our Young Women's team. I enjoyed this, but was really only good at serving the ball. I could get it over the net with some sort of accuracy if I served underhand, but would have a huge bruise on my arm when the game was over. I ran track in Jr. High, but it's embarrassing to even think about how slow I was, especially since I married into the Johnson family where running FAST is a passion. I ran the mile and most of the time I finished last. I kid you not! I wish I could love running. It's such an easy form of exercise - something that doesn't cost anything and you can do it wherever you go. I just really don't like it. I do exercise (love my T-Tapp), but I wouldn't say I'm an "athlete."

So I'm not an athlete, but I love to watch my kids play sports. I LOVE IT! It really doesn't matter - soccer, track or basketball, I love them all. When I have to miss one of the Michael and Jacob's soccer games I feel truly bummed out, especially since I know it will probably be the game they win. Michael made two goals in one of the games I missed this past season. It made me sad to not be there on the sidelines. I would have be the loudest parent there!

I don't care if they win or lose, I want to be there to cheer for my kids!


Here are some pictures from tonight's indoor soccer game. We lost 1-5.


Left: Michael ready for 2nd quarter kick-off


Below: Jacob takes a penalty shot



















No comments: